We have experienced many natural disasters in the past several years, which is a contributing factor to our raising cost of home insurance. We at Curtis Insurance Agency have helped our clients with claims on their homes where trees have fallen through the roof, lightening struck the home, wind damage to shingles and siding, sump pumps have failed during heavy rains. These are only a few of the types of claims that Michigan homeowners have experienced and why we are experiencing the increased cost in our policies. Protecting your home and having the funds to re-build when diasters and accidents occur is very important to protecting your investment and providing peace of mind to you and your family.
How can you manage your insurance costs?
- Review your home insurace policy with your insurance agent to insure you have the correct dwelling amount to re-build your home
- Consider Increasing your deductible, only if you can afford the risk
- Consider insuring your Home and Auto insurance with the same insurance company for a Auto/Home Multi Policy discounts
- Most Insurance Companies have discounts for safeguarding your home with smoke detectors, burglar alarms and fire extinguisher
- There may be discounts for updates to your roof, electrical, plumbing, and heating systems
- Ask your insurance agent about discounts for belonging to a group such as: senior citizens organizations, MEA, member of a credit union, college Alumni members